Love You Deerly Popcard

Hello and welcome to my blog. Today I'm featuring my first Valentine's Day card of the season and I'm super excited about it! This card features the cutest deer that is all tangled up in a string of heart lights.

Click on the video thumbnail above to see the video. If that isn't available on your device, you can click on the included link instead.
3D Deer Popcard video link

Most crafters are always searching for good deals. To that end, I was out at Michaels not too long after Christmas when they were clearancing their Christmas items at 70% off. There was a Popcard set from Art Impressions (Hampton Art) that I wasn't familiar with but I was pretty intrigued by it. It's a stamp and die combination that allows you to create a really big pop-up element in a card. I decided that the reindeer Popcard was just too cute and inexpensive to pass up. Although the reindeer is super cute I didn't want to wait until next year to use him. I thought there had to be a way to alter him for Valentine's Day. After "racking" (LOL) my brain for a while, I figured out a way to do it.

Here's my remake of this cutie to fit the Valentine theme. I covered the light stamps that were in his antlers with small metallic hearts. This transformed his Christmas lights into Valentine lights. I changed out his red Rudolph nose for a black one and added white nostrils. Then instead of putting bells on his collar, I added more of the metallic hearts. These changes made him look more like a regular deer than a reindeer.

The popup feature in this set is really awesome. He stands a full 3/4" above the card base so he's super dimensional. I did have a little trouble putting him together. Afterwards, I finally took a look on YouTube to see if there were any tutorials out there. Well, I should have looked for that first. I made it more difficult than it had to be. I also discovered through the videos on this that there is a whole series of different Popcards that have been created. If you purchase any of the Popcard series, be sure to look for the AI tutorial which clearly shows the assembly and some key tips to make it easier. The package instructions are woefully incomplete and will only leave you tearing your hair out if you rely on them alone. Just saying from my own experience! Now that I get it, I'm going to purchase some more of these Popcard designs. They are really fun.

In the end I was happy with the results. The only problem was that I concentrated so hard to get the phrase Deerly inside the card, I spelled it Dearly instead of Deerly! Hopefully my 12-year old son won't pick up on that when I give it to him. LOL!

Thanks for stopping by. Keep an eye out as I plan to post several Valentine projects in the next few weeks.

-Janet

No comments